Baby Braden Petska

Monday, November 16, 2009

Stuck in the Mud!




















B's Last Day On Earth....

Dear B,
I come to this picture so often and am reminded of that last day we spent with you - you loved going to the park and you had so much fun with "the kids" as you would call your little pals. I vividly remember telling you we had to go home, and I was waiting for you to come down the slide. You didn't want to slide down, so you sat at the top, pumped your fist in the air and shouted, "Rock and Roll" over and over again. Where you came up with some of your funny phrases, I will never know. You sure knew how to keep a constant smile on our faces. It was exactly 8 months ago today that our lives were perfectly intact. If I would've known that God awaited your presence just hours later, I would've rocked you all night and never let go....I would've slept beside you in your bed.....I would've sung to you and said "I loved you" until I could no longer speak.....I would've tried everything in my power to bottle your scent.....only..if only...we would've known. I can relive this night over and over and yet it still doesn't seem possible that you're not here. Lately, so many of those sweet memories of you have been filling up my day. I look at your winter boots and remember you stomping around the house in them saying, "March, march, march and march and march!" When I drive to school, I can hear your sweet voice telling me to play "My tunes Mama, my tunes" on the Ipod. I see Christmas lights now and I know you would be tickled to see them on display. I remember letting you sit at the computer while I made dinner, so you could see the YouTube Christmas lights set to music. Your favorite book this time of year was the toy catalog - you would study it for what seemed like hours, asking about and wanting all the trucks and fun toys that were advertised. Oh my little buddy, I don't know how we will ever survive these first holidays without you.

Your little brother is THE happiest little baby - I know you are so proud of Owen as you watch over him. Sometimes I think you are here as Owen will start laughing at something we cannot see. We dressed him in a "Scary, Scary Skeleton" (gary, gary geleton as you would say) outfit in honor of you for Halloween. Everytime I visit Walgreens I'm reminded of your fascination with the skeletons they had on display. Owen is starting to grunt and babble and he sounds just like you - absolutely amazing.

We miss you and love you so much B - keep showing your beautiful presence - I'm thinking that seeing 7 hawks on our way home yesterday was no coincidence :)

Holding you closer than ever to our hearts,
Your Mama

Dear Bloggers,
I feel like I'm walking in thick mud, trying like heck to speed up but am reminded of the constant presence of the mud (my friend grief) weighing me down. It's exhausting just to try and maintain balance as I dredge through this mud, making sure I don't fall over. All I can focus on is what lies immediately ahead while everything else is so far out of reach....I'm just trying to survive. In life, we have certain control over what we can obtain whether it's tangible or not. If it's too expensive, we can wait it out, ask for it for Christmas or save our pennies to purchase it later. We even get sad when the season of summer is over, but don't worry it'll be back. When we have a destination in mind whether it be a vacation hot spot or a career goal, it's something we aim for, and it might someday be in reach. The "thing" I long for everday is not in reach and will never be obtained again in this lifetime. That right there is something that can take the air right out of my lungs (try it - exhale until you no longer have a breath of air in your lungs - that heavy feeling that you feel in your lungs when you need to take in another breath - that's how it feels - everyday). Everyday I long for B's presence...a hug...a warm embrace. ::sigh:: Hug and embrace your child or grandchild....a little tighter...a little longer.....every chance you get.

As tomorrow approaches, I ask myself, "How on earth have we survived this?" I'm not sure. I know that our Owen is truly our super hero who has helped heal the battered heart within. God has big plans for our little "healer".....

Thanks for checking in and for continuing to hold us in prayer,
Love Steph

Here are some great Halloween photos of Owen:






7 Comments:

Blogger mittelmommy said...

the pictures are adorable!
i have yet to read a post of yours without crying..maybe b/c i have my own heart kiddo and it just seems too real...or probably, everyone cries. praying that god will help you guys through this. i know it's never ending, but i pray he'll bring you comfort. your posts are such a reminder of all we have to be thankful for and like you said, hug them and tell them how much we love them!
i love how god sends you love messages!
hugs,
chantae
www.caringbridge.org/visit/mittelstaedt

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holding YOU close to our hearts and praying for you every single day. Braden will always hold a special place in our hearts. Owen is so incredibly precious and the pictures are so adorable!

Veronica Burk

7:06 PM  
Blogger Jer, Kari, Alayna-Maria said...

I agree with Chantae... I have yet to read a post without crying. I can feel your grief through the screen, just joining you in those moments wrenches my heart for you and Rich and your family.
Sweet Braden, help your mommy to feel your presence...God, help to hold Steph and Rich up as they trudge through their grief.
We love you guys.
Kari and Jer

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here with a huge lump in my throat as I read this. You are all in my thoughts so often and I do, indeed hug my boys a little tighter now. I don't know if there are any words of comfort that I can possibly pass along as you weather losing your sweet little B. Please know that you are in my prayers and even though it may not feel like it sometimes, you are remarkably strong. Much love to you all.

Jenny in MA

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Steph,

This is so unfair. I'm so saddened by what your family has gone through. Noone should ever have to experience this type of pain. I'm so very sorry that you and your family are going through this grief. Please know that you have the support and prayers of many. Your little precious B will never be forgotten. He has shown us how to live each day to the fullest.

Take care,
Melissa
(The Laughlin Family)

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posts touch my heart deeply. I am so very sorry you have to go through and even more sorry that there is nothing anyone can do to change things.

Heart hugs from a fellow Herma family.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Jen Sadowski said...

Steph,

Reading your blog brings me to tears every time. Your writing is so beautiful...how you capture your emotions and how your describe Braden. I pray for you every night. My heart absolutley aches for you - especially with the upcoming holiday season. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home