Baby Braden Petska

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Picture "Perfect"

So often I find myself surfing on facebook. It has become a bad habit of mine actually. Even when I vow to only go on there to find or look for something specific, I catch myself minutes later realizing that I’m scrolling my wall, taking a peak into the world of other people’s lives. Some days it’s okay & other days I find myself doing the comparison game. Oh look, they’re on vacation…and oh…they’re on vacation too. This leads to my irrational thinking that EVERYBODY is on vacation but us. Lurking into this world can be a dangerous game. Bottom line is that comparing, being envious, wishing you had what they had ultimately robs you of everything that should bring or once brought you joy. It’s like a thief in the night….the enemy lurking….waiting until you’re at a vulnerable place and WHAM!! The quiet whispers that start to shout, “Don’t you wish you could do that? Wouldn’t it be great to be there? Don’t you wish you could afford their lifestyle? They are so happy doing what they’re doing….when will you ever get to do that or be there? Proverbs 14:30 states: “A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.” That’s exactly what happens if we’re not careful when we entertain the thought of “surfing the net” & keeping in tune with status updates & pictures on social media. It doesn’t matter if the picture was taken at Disney (I have nothing against Disney or Disney goers), the beach, or in the backyard of their home. A picture most often times displays a picture of happiness; everyone is posing, saying “cheese” to the camera, and there’s nothing usually “wrong” in the photo - well, at least the one they’ve posted. Example: Right here is a photo of four high school friends. Great picture isn’t it? We’re all smiling and life seems to be great. All four of us married with children – Heidi and I are both expecting. What you don’t quite realize is that this is the first time I’ve “posted” this picture because it represents more heartache than anyone will ever know. This picture was taken as a way to honor a friendship that had endured a hard road yet an unbreakable bond. This picture was taken just hours after we celebrated the life of my son & laid his little body to rest. I’m still in awe I was able to smile as I felt lifeless inside…yet, that’s what we do when our picture is taken….we smile. Shana, on the far left, was fighting for her life; her body was filled with cancer and experimental drugs to help kill the monster growing inside of her. Just two short years later, Shana would lose the battle she fought so hard to win passing away at the young age of 35. The point to my sharing…..the next time you are looking at someone’s else life, whether it be through a cameral lens, the naked eye, or a status update, remember that everyone is facing a battle in their life; no life is ever perfect. Embrace who you are & the gifts/strengths God has blessed you with, be kind to others, display a friendly smile, and don’t judge. One of the best quotes I’ve seen/heard is that we should compare our lives to those who have less and be thankful for everything we have!!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this....thank u for sharing. You are 100 right. T Frost

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for you being you!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph, you are amazing :-) love Glenda

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Glenna said...

Steph thanks for making your blog available to me. I had never sen it before. You communicate so well in your written words. Many people must gain inspiration from your messages. I know I have. My best friends received a rather rich inheritance. For several months now I have watched their lives become what I wish I had. I have struggled not to be envious, but I must remember that their lives are picture perfect, and that envy is a poison to me. I have many blessings to be thankful for, and if I must compare I would better look to those who have less. I am grateful that I have God in my life and my prosperity grows as my faith. As always I thank you for illuminating what is beautiful in life.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Tammy Tomomitsu said...

God has blessed you with such a gift to write the way you do...I need to remember to check your blog more often..thanks for posting it on FB so I happend to see while "surfing" that....your words touched my heart, thank you my friend and hugs to you and your wounderful family!!!!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph you are an amazing amazing woman and I am so thankful that I have met you even on the worst days you manage to bring a smile it's okay to be human.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed this message today more that you will ever know. Thank you.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home