Baby Braden Petska

Monday, August 21, 2006

Long Day in Milwaukee 8/21 10pm

Braden continues to remain stable and put up a heck of a fight. I find myself standing over him in amazement at how much an 8 lb person can be so resilient. The constant poking and prodding and beeping noises and handling he receives would be enough to drive anyone crazy.

Today his breathing tube was removed, because he continues to strengthen in that area. The IV was removed from above his forehead and relocated. These were big moments for Steph and I because we got to see his face without all of that stuff for the first time since Thurs. nite. As the day progressed he did fatigue a little and needed a tube put into his nose for oxygen.

I don't know how many new people we met today but it felt like a 1000. There is just so much on the first day in a new hospital, the routines, the elevators, the place to nap, the phones, pagers, finding a vending machine that has Cheetos, etc. It does get a little over whelming, but everyone does simply everything they can to help, which helps so much.

Dr. Cava, our new cardiologist, gave us a refresher on the procedures ahead, success rates, expectations for Braden's future for a "normal" life, the risks involved, and the possible unknowns. Is all this scary as hell? YES. But not nearly as scary as walking in as the NICU team is doing everything they can to save your dying kids life.

On that note, Steph mentioned Cindy B. from Lutheran in a previous blog, I personally have to say thank you too. I wouldn't be updating you today still if it wasn't for her. Thank you Cindy.

Tomorrow is another big day. We meet with the surgical team and discuss their evaluation of Braden's heart and their predictions of the success of the Norwood Procedure on him. They will also be telling us if it will be Weds. or Friday. The surgery is a minimum of 9 hours long by the sounds of it. As I mentioned before, the recovery could be 3-5 weeks also. I should have access to a computer during the day tomorrow, so maybe I could have a post up by late afternoon.

Thank you for the continued outpouring of offers to help. It means so much to Steph and I. When we are ready to accept your help or need it we will ask, I promise. It is just so much to juggle right now.

Anyways thanks for letting me vent and for reading up on our day. Keep on praying.

Rich

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knowing Patsy I feel as if I know you too. I am in the UK and my prayers and thoughts are with you, along with the hopes and prayers of my friends who now know of this brave little boy. I can only read your posts and send you love via this PC. Please know that I will be reading your site every day and you will be in the hearts of people you have never met but who are with you all the way.
Lin Sunderland (Friend of Andrea Jensen)

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you guys during this time in your life! Rich, I will be around at school if you need anything at all! I would love to help in anyway possible! My thoughts and prayers are continuing each day for all of you and your families!

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. Sorry that was from me, Kara Poynter and Jared.

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich & Steph
Know your family is in our constant prayers and thoughts. Try to take good care of yourselves too, Braden is a tough little cookie keep the faith, hope and spirits going.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is okay to vent, Rich, as you, Steph and Braden have been through so much already. Life is not fair! But we all know that Braden is in the best possible place right now in Milwaukee and is in the best hands. We look forward to your updates and as you can see, a lot of people have been checking in too. Please know that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Uncle Lar, Aunt Gooch, Katie & Tim
P.S. Give our love to Grandma Lois and Grandma Patsy too.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph, Rich, and Baby Braden -
We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Stay positive and try to take care of yourselves new mommy and daddy! God bless -
Amy, Tim and Addison Taege

1:46 PM  
Blogger Jodi Ivanchenko said...

It's me again...Steph, I just can't stop thinking about the 3 of you and your families. I, along with everyone you know, is praying for Baby Braden. I will continue to check the site for updates.
Love, Jodi

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home